Monday, February 21, 2011

Dilbert Day

I am a very conscientous worker.  I maintain a daily log of things that I did or I fantasized that I did.  It helps me fill up my time sheets at the end of the month.  Obviously no one can remember what all one din't do for a whole month right?  So today is "Dilbert Day".  I spent the entire bloody day reading Dilbert 2.0 - 20 years of  Dilbert from Google Books.  Ofcourse you cannot read good stuff in the office without disturbance - if you are having a gripping read, for sure your boss has all the time in the world to march around you.  So I spent my day switching between the .NET studio and the Google books site.  Thank God I know the keyboard shortcut to switch between stuff. 
The book is an excellent read - Scott Adams traces the journey of how Dilbert grew.  It is filled with a lot of Dilbert (obviously) and I kept reading it in the belief that reading these smart things makes my brain develop.  I realised while reading the book that I can only get my sense of humour across through a comic strip.  I should draw instead of writing like this.  But writing is easier and if neither writing nor drawing are going to draw the laughs, then I'd rather do the easier thing. 
Reading through the book, I realised that there were punch-lines which I did not understand. For example the strip about how Dilbert sneezes and causes serious embarassment and injury to the senior management and Dogbert replies with a "Gesundheit".  I had to google this German word to know that its the 'God bless you' response to a sneeze in North America.  I hope we have famous Indian comic strips so that everyone can google for phrases like "chalta hai!". 

No comments:

Post a Comment